Herb powiatu tomaszowskiego Powiat tomaszowski Związek Powiatów Polskich

2014.10.31
Urbana i Augusta

ROEFS
Strona główna

  Lubycza Królewska Commune Drukuj

This commune is located to the south-easterly edge of the Lublin region, not far from the Ukrainian border. An important international communication link runs through Lubycza Królewska towards Lvov, with border crossings at: Hrebenne - Rawa Ruska.

The commune is rich in landscape and nature thanks to its geographical location at the junction of three distinct areas: Roztocze Południowe, Grzęda Sokolska and Równina Bełska. The most noteworthy parts of Roztocze, culminating with the summit of Krągły Goraj Hill (388.7 m. above sea level), include the Southern Roztocze Landscape Park. The park mainly contains important woodland areas, with large expanses of Carpathian beech wood and fir-trees. Rare mammals include the lynx, otter, musk-rat, polecat, badger, weasel and martens. The deeply penetrating river valleys, the dunes and scattered rocks help underline the beauty of the park. A natural peculiarity are the fossilized trunks of sequoias from the Tertiary period, which may be seen near the village of Siedliski. These fossils are protected in the "Jalinka" wood sanctuary with an area of 3.8 ha. The fossils may also be seen in the local museum chamber. The "Machnowska Góra" (25.3 ha) flower sanctuary is located on the sunny slopes of the Sołokija Valley. Stenothrmal plant life dominates on the slopes. Examples of the kind of vegetation are as follows: purple orchids, gentians and grape hyacinths. This sanctuary, together with its ecological characteristics - " Żurawce" and Kornie" - shall become part of the Special Protection Area of European rank. The commune contains a large number of places, which may be of particular interest to tourists, mainly because of their compelling locations, history and architectural monuments - in particular Greek-Catholic places of worship.

Lubycza Królewska - a former Wallachian settlement and royal property, became a city in 1759. Destruction during the Second World War led to its decline and annihilation of its inhabitants, mainly Jews. The Neo-gothic parish church, dated 1904, is the most important monument in the settlement. A recreation centre overlooks a complex of ponds (7.2 ha). In Hrebenne a wooden Greek Catholic church complex has survived from the 17th and 18th centuries. This is one of the most valuable religious architecture monuments in the Lublin area. Former Greek Catholic and Roman Catholic churches may also be seen in Kornie, Stary Machnów and Żurawce. Teniatyski and Kniazie contain the ruins and remnants of church complexes, whilst the border towns of Wierzbica and Siedliski contain the no longer used post-uniate complexes. When in Siedliski it is also worth visiting the parish church (1904), the wooden chapel of St. Nicholas (1930), the tomb of prince Sapieha at the parish cemetery, and a number of historical wooden houses from the 19th and 20th centuries.

In Wierzbica it is also worth seeing the classicist manor and park from the early 20th century and the sepulchre of the Lityński family, dating back to 1860.

Numerous important tourist routes go through the area around Roztocz. These include interesting routes such as "Around the Bunkers of Molotov's Line", blue route, 21.5 kms long and the "From Hrebenne to Huta Lubycka" route.